Captain Thurmond's Challenge
WhereFayetteville, WV - 129 South Court Street
WhenAugust 6, 2016 - 11:00 AM
What28.5 Mile Extreme Off Road Triathlon (*Must Have White Water Experience)
The New River Gorge Challenge consists of 28.5 miles of the most extreme Mountain Biking, White Water and Running in the state and some would say the East Coast. The triathlon can be done as a Solo, Relay Team, or Raft Team. If you’re looking for teammates or are concerned about the White Water leg of this race, contact us and we will try to help you get a team together. This race is part of the New River Gorge Challenge Weekend so pack up the friends and family and head on out for a weekend of racing for every level!
Here’s a look at the course: *(Please NOTE the RUN course for 2016 may change due to Kaymore Trail closure. Stay tuned for more details closer to race.)
The 15 mile bike will lead you from the Town of Fayetteville through some of the best single track trail the New River Gorge has to offer. You will have about a half mile prolog through the town until you hit the Water Treatment trail which leads you into the park. From there you will continue until you reach the Arrow Head Trails where you will follow Dalton trail out to an access road where you will have a screaming down hill to the Kaymore-Cunard Trail which will lead you to the Cunard access road. Please Note: The Cunard access road is a paved road that is VERY fast and we must implement some safety rules for this descent.
The 7 mile paddle will run you right down the middle of the gorge passing through some of the best class white water the east coast has to offer. You will encounter 3 class 5 rapids so this race is not for your beginner boater. Make sure you have white water experience before going down this river
The 6.5 mile run may seem short but trust me the elevation gain is over 1100 vertical feet with the miners trail right in the middle of it all. A pretty much straight up the side of the gorge trail that has you scrambling and clawing every inch to reach the top, but when you get there we will have a food / water station to take care of you. After that you retrace your steps (or pedals) of the bike leg back into town where you started. *(Please NOTE the RUN course for 2016 may change due to Kaymore Trail closure. Stay tuned for more details closer to race.)
There will be plenty of food, music, and fun to greet you back into town after an amazing day in the New River Gorge Challenge!
Event details and schedule
Registragion will open at 8am on race day (with a $10 price increase for race day registration)
The race is schedualed to start at 11am sharp.
*Solo racers gear must be loaded on trucks by no later than 10:30!
*Relay team and Raft teams are responciable for their own shuttle!
Solo Racers - $65 with a $10 increase for race day registration.
Relay Teams - $150 with a $10 increase for race day registration
Raft Team - $165 with a $10 increase for race day registration
Due to the extream nature of this race, the categories for this event are broken up as such.
- Expert Male and Female - Must have raced in pro field in one of the disiplans. Also Experts are allowed to have full length river racing boats that measure over 4 meters. Your FULL SHUTTLE IS TAKEN CARE OF! No stress Just enjoy a day of racing in the New River Gorge!
- Sport Male and Female - We do NOT allow boats over 4 meters to be in this category. We also allow duckies in this feild. Your FULL SHUTTLE IS TAKEN CARE OF! No stress Just enjoy a day of racing in the New River Gorge!
- Masters Male and Female - 45 and over. Your FULL SHUTTLE IS TAKEN CARE OF! No stress Just enjoy a day of racing in the New River Gorge!
- Clydesdale and Athena - 200 and 175. Your FULL SHUTTLE IS TAKEN CARE OF! No stress Just enjoy a day of racing in the New River Gorge!
- Relay Male, Female, and Mixed - Each participant does one leg of race passing a baton between them. *Some have run this as a duo team. While we permit this we will not give any breaks for biker not reaching check point before boater. As always SAFETY is our #1 concern. This feild will BE RESPONSIABLE FOR THEIR OWN SHUTTLE. (example: Boater drives to put in, biker drives car out. Runner drives to boat take out/run start. Boater drives car back. Runner finishes back at home)
- Raft Team - 4 to 6 people. All participants are timed of of last person across the line. There will be an Honor code in effect for this class to make sure the slowest person on team has the timing chip for the run leg. It is our hope that the team will just stick together. *WE ARE NOT RESPONSIABLE FOR RAFT SHUTTLE! Raft teams must provide logistics for their raft. Due to the nature of rubber we can not take on this liability.
*Please pay attention to Shuttle logsitics and call with any further questions.
Expert = Cash Payout
All other = Very well stocked Prize table! Includes gear from all 3 disciplines and great gift card's to many of the great Fayetteville Resturants.
We are donating a portion of the proceeds to the New River Gorge Learning Co-Op. They will be out on course through out the day helping make sure everyone and everything goes smooth. We would also like to make note that the Half and Half 5K the morning of the CTC is also a fund raiser for the school! So come out and do both events to support this great school!