Benefits to Being a Runner!
By: Kellie McKinney
If you are a runner, you know that running has changed your life. It’s not just an activity or exercise, it’s a way of life with numerous benefits.
1. Overall mental health.
Runners are happy people. We’ve got that runner high thing going for us.
2. Helps prevent high blood pressure.
Your arteries expand and contract while running helping to keep your arteries fit which in turn keeps your blood pressure in a normal range.
3. Strengthens immune system.
Regular running builds up your tolerance to germs which results in fewer minor illnesses.
4. Weight control.
Running burns mega-calories.
You know that exercise burns calories while you’re working out. The bonus is that when you exercise, the burn continues after you stop.
5. Relieves stress.
Running boasts the brain’s serotonin levels which make you calmer and more relaxed.
6. Increased confidence.
Once you start running, your confidence begins to grow. You’ll feel more in control of your life and your body.
7.Running strengthens your knees (and your other joints and bones, too).
It’s long been known that running increases bone mass.
8. Strengthens your lungs.
Runners have increased lung capacity from logging mile after mile.
TNN style Granola Bars
- 21/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (optional )
- Line 8x8 pan with foil
- In bowl , stir the oats, pumpkin seeds and raisins
- In a medium bowl stir together the peanut butter, agave nectar and combine these ingredients in food processor and process until well combined. Add to the oat mixture and stir until everything is sticky and well combined. If mixture is too dry to hold together, add a bit more agave nectar.
- Spread the mixture in lined pan, then cover with foil and press firmly to form an even layer. Refrigerate for about 4 hours
- Cut into bars and wrap as individuals. Store in fridge .